Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Typing on the TI-99 4A



Typing on the TI-99 4A


Around the third or fourth grade,
someone in my family got me a book on video game programming for the TI-99 4A.
This book probably made the most significant contribution to my interests in
computer science. It contained the source code for the video games, but it
required you to manually type it in, as there wasn't a concept of "installing"
software on the TI. Either the software came on a cartridge or you had to type
it in manually. I would two-finger type line after line of code for hours on
end. I have to thank my older cousins for taking turns helping me type code on
those evenings.


There was this one video game's code in
particular that took us many, many hours to type in. The video game involved
flying, where you're navigating a fighter-style spaceship through explosive
mines and other things that are bad for a spaceship to fly into in space. You
could fly at a constant speed in only one direction. All you could do was arrow
up or arrow down to avoid destruction. It so ruled.


Just thinking back on those days makes
me look at Visual Studio in a much different light. We used a cassette tape deck
to store the video games, until it caught on fire one night. Also, we didn't
know whether we typed in a letter wrong until the very end of the our typing
ordeal, when we got to finally compile. Think of typing on the TI as using
Notepad to type hours upon hours of source code from a book, without the ability
to save, until the end. Maybe this is why I "heart" Visual Studio so much.


One of the lessons we learned the
hard way was that you lost everything if you turned off the computer or if there
was a power failure (which of course happened one night). How we were able to
ever program that game is beyond me, and we did it on several occasions (as we
didn't realize we had to save to cassette the first time). I definitely learned
patience, although the adults probably beg to differ, and how to pay attention
to detail from all that typing.


 


No comments: